Bethel began as a church plant in September of 1951, when 55 men and women from First Baptist Church of Alamogordo stepped out in faith to start a new mission work in the area. Meeting in a small building on 10th Street, the church soon outgrew its facilities. In 1956, Bethel dedicated a new worship facility at 900 Jefferson and added an education building in 1959.
In 1963, the church purchased property on Scenic Drive that would become Bethel’s new home. During the 1960s, the church continued to grow, adding new believers as well as members from a sister church, Heights Baptist Church. With more people coming into the church, the leadership began to plan for the future. In May 1973, the original Worship Center on Scenic Drive was dedicated as the S.D. Davis Building and in 1977, a Gymnasium was dedicated as the Andy Hendrix Center.
Because of continuing growth, the church agreed in 1989 to build a new Worship Center and to renovate the existing Davis Building. The new Worship Center was dedicated on December 22, 1991. This beautiful 500 seat sanctuary, which includes a picturesque window looking out into the Sacramento Mountains, is currently being used as Bethel’s primary Worship Center.
Responding to a need for more Bible study space, the church once again expanded its campus, dedicating a new Education & Conference Center on March 6, 2011. This modern facility, with 11 classrooms, fellowship kitchen, and prayer room, houses weekly Bible study classes in addition to hosting fellowships, conferences, seminars, and community events.
For over 65 years, God has richly blessed Bethel Baptist Church. By God’s grace and for His glory, we have seen our fellowship of believers continued to grow and impact our community and world with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Like the original 55 men and women who stepped out in faith to begin Bethel, we are called on to step out in faith to continue the mission which they started. No one is here by accident or coincidence. God has brought us here for such a time as this. The best days for Bethel are out in front. The mission continues . . .